As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
So let us now talk about car seats, or more specifically how to get some back support for car seats!
How Do Lumbar Support Cushions in Car Seats Work?
It really all revolves around one main point:
Does it Really Work?
That’s right, the ever-present, ever-pervasive and all mysterious lumbar support cushion.
We think we know what lumbar support is; but do we really?
Lumbar support is defined by spine-health.com thusly:
While the spine can maintain a natural curvature without lower back support provided by the seatback, the natural tendency for most people when sitting for a long period is to slouch forward. This slouching posture pushes the lower back out, so that the natural inward curve goes in the opposite direction – outward toward the chair – straining the structures in the lower back.
This is generally the cause of quite a lot of back pain ills and usually develops over a certain period of time sitting in awkward positions. So, we have reviewed the best ergonomic products in the market today for you to choose from to make your life as comfortable as possible.
If you can find yourself a good quality lumbar support cushion or pillows for your car, you will go a very long way in making your car journeys more comfortable and your long-distance ones more enjoyable.
By getting the correct lumbar support seat for your auto in order, you will help to alleviate back and travel-related problems including but not limited to:
- Lower back pain – This is really the big one. Even if you do not have back pain, I am sure many people will have some kind of annoying, uncomfortable feelings in your lower back when driving for long distances.
- Increased concentration when driving – This one is directly related to the first point. No pain or discomfort = more focus on getting the job done. In this case; driving a vehicle.
- Better posture – This is true even when you have finished driving your auto, especially if you drive a lot or for your job.
- Increased happiness – This is one of my own personal experience. As soon as I realized the problems I was having and corrected them, i.e. I needed decent lumbar support when driving so that driving became less of a chore more fun. I could put my music on or listen to the radio and be happy in my little driving cocoon!
But I Do Not Want to Buy Anything
That is OK, this is one of those problems that you can actually fix on your own with minimal fuss and effort.
If you know what a pillow or cushion is then you are already halfway there! Just pop it on your car seat and sit down to adjust for comfort.
Some Things You Should Note Though:
- You must make sure that the driver’s pillow is in the horizontal position and not upright – this will have the effect of making your car journey less comfortable and potentially dangerous.
- Try to get a medium-density mesh pillow – too hard and you risk your lower back jutting out too far, too soft and you may as well not bother.
- I would still recommend investing in specific back support for your car seat cushion because they really fit the shape of your back correctly and serve a very specific purpose.
Another benefit of getting yourself a brand new car seat back support device is that it will not wear out over time or deform like a pillow will and also most importantly, they are really not expensive at all.
The great thing about these mesh products is that they can be quite cheap but also good quality.
My Painful Story with Auto Back Supports (And Why I Wrote This Article!)
I am sure that if you are anything like me and you have been driving along on a long and boring journey, perhaps even cross country to see relatives, your back starts to give up after a while!
At first, it is just a bit of shuffling about, trying to get into the best position to remedy the discomfort.
Then comes the weird stretching and back arching to get more comfortable, there may even be some bending involved.
And finally comes the dreaded muscle pain/ spasms which kick in so hard that you have to pull over just so you can walk around a bit.
Well, dear reader, I have been there many times.
I am from the UK I lived in Scotland for around 5 years while my family lived down in England.
I would drive there a few times a year to see everyone and although my journey was not as long as others, it was still around 300+ miles (500+ km).
This usually took just shy of 6 hours.
6 hours of pretty much non stop driving on a boring, monotonous highway only stopping a couple of times for a toilet break.
Suffice to say this did a real number on my back.
If you read about the reason I started this website, you will know that it is usually my knee that is the culprit in the paint department and sometimes seizes up if in one position for a long time.
But in this situation, it was my back that really gave me some real pain and unhappiness.
This coupled with hours of sitting in one position makes for a very bad lumbar situation.
Service Station Goodies
Whenever I stopped off at a service station, I would always see those weird-looking, concave mesh things that you put on your car seat to give you some lumbar support; but I never thought of ever getting one.
The lure of fast food always made me forget!
Then came the day that I thought to myself, “just do it, go and invest in one.”
It was only a small amount, and cheap enough to give it whirl.
I hobbled back to my car, unpacked the adjustable lumbar device, installed it as suggested and you know what? It was terrible!
The problem was that I bought a cheap, inferior cushion that provided no support and worse, made my back pain more unbearable.
I did no research prior to buying it and just saw the happy photos of a comfortable auto driver on the box and got impulsed into buying it.
However, there is a silver lining here.
I decided to give it another go with a better product and spent about £35 this time. I installed it into my auto and used it every day just driving to and from work.
It was pretty good this one.
However I only really felt the benefit when I embarked on my next long road trip and this time it is where these types of adjustable cushion products really shine.
If you are looking for a way to improve your back support, you should really consider one of these.
I didn’t actually get the exact model I have linked to, but my one is extremely similar and it is just amazing, worth every penny and a really small investment that reaps such huge rewards.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.